London Eastend Best Greasy Spoon Cafs
London Eastend is more than Hackney and Tower Hamlets; actually there are at least another 5 borough that stretch out to the Forest of Hainult and beyond into Essex which can be called “eastend”.
So why have most reviews ie Timeout and even the BBC only mentioned Bethnal Green and Dalston greasy spoon cafes?
London’s traditional cafés are a dying breed. So it’s time to celebrate the real deal: Formica-clad legends of full Englishes and bottomless tea
1. E Pellicci Venue says: “Thank you to everyone who voted us the Time Out Love London winners for Best Restaurant in Bethnal Green!”
Here since 1900, this Grade II-listed East End caff is a London institution that once counted the Kray twins as regulars. On a weekday late morning, it’s rammed.
2. Terry’s Cafe This dinky caff’s a proper greasy spoon. It boasts 35 years of quality fry-ups and a proprietor who greets customers with a chirpy ‘What you ’avin?’ Wartime jazz plays out of crackly vintage speakers, tablecloths are chequered, walls are covered with black-and-white photos of street parties and sports days.
Thank goodness for Tripadvisor and it subscribers who have voted to include cafs in eastend Stratford:
Cafes for Breakfast in East End / East London
Best cafe in Stratford
Reviewed 3 January 2017 “I’ve lived in Stratford for most of my life and there are been maybe two or three management changes since. In my view Olives and Lemon has been the best so far. The staff are friendly, and the food is delicious. The decor and background music also make it an enjoyable experience. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to eat in a relaxing and clean environment. You can also collect a piece fruit or a vegetable on the way for free.”
“Excellent thai food in a greasy spoon cafe
A greasy spoon cafe during the day ( hence i guess the name ) which turns into a fabulous thai restaurant in the evening. Friendly service with a smile and busy when we visited on a friday. it can be a bit cramped but everyone seemed to be having a good time – small drink selection or bring your own. Great value for money as well. Not easiest to find but well worth it !”
Does Eastend London exist beyond Hackney?
These reviews don’t feature Cafs further than Dalston, no one trendy lives beyond the reaches of Hackney I think. Even the BBC, the producers of the programme Eastenders do not feature an Eastend caf other than E. Pellicci in Bethnal Green in their article. The Eastend ends in Bethnal Green?
The New Kid on the BLOCK
It’s very important, at Cafe East, that the tables are 50cm by 55. They were made by owners and brothers-in-law, Mustafa Has and Ali Cakan, to keep people close. But every bit of Cafe East is important, from the writing on the windows to the contemporary art on the walls. It’s all meant to be there.
A BIT OF EAST END HISTORY RETRIEVED FROM THE NET
Beatles in Stratford
“In its farming heyday and until the middle of the 19th century, Stratford provided London with a lot of agricultural goods, becoming best known for potato production. It started to move from farming to industrial manufacturing in the mid-1700s.
The area has been used in many film and TV shoots over the years. Even The Beatles made it to Stratford! They filmed the promo for Penny Lane on Angel Lane. Unfortunately, you cannot really walk in John, Paul, George and Ringo’s footsteps as the location itself was demolished later in the 1960s when the council built the Stratford shopping centre.”
“The film in question was Bronco Bullfrog, a rumble-tumble East End picaresque, shot on the cheap (£18,000) and entirely staffed with non-professional actors. Barney Platts-Mills’s film played in Cannes, won rave reviews and picked up a Writers’ Guild award. After that, it quickly fell into shadow.”
1.The Future of Food Tourism: Foodies, Experiences, Exclusivity, Visions and Political Capital (Aspects of Tourism)
by Channel View Publications Ltd
2. Buyagift Afternoon Tea Gift Experiences Box – 250 traditional afternoon tea experience days by Buyagift
3. Buyagift Fun Together Gift Experiences Box – 930 Gift Experiences – For Couples, Pamper Day, Dinner for Two, Days Out, Spa Day, For Two, Afternoon Tea
4. Buyagift Superman Gift Experiences Box – 1380 gift experiences for men from extreme adventure to male grooming, the perfect gift for him
5. Activity Superstore Steam Train Ride for Two Gift Experience – Choose 1 from 8 locations to enjoy an unforgettable journey through the countryside
Please leave your comments below.